Where did the last year go?
Someone tell me where did the last year go? It’s absolutely flown by but what an amazing year its been.
“A new business, a new blog, a new country and a new job!”
The end of the year is always a great benchmark for us to reflect and plan. We have this impulsive need to make changes, find new beginnings and eradicate all the negative things out of our lives but what makes us wait until we are fat from christmas, hanging from too much wine and scared about returning to our boring weekly routines. If this is you, you need to make these changes much sooner and not let life pass you by and its easy if you just follow these very basic steps:
1. Regularly ask yourself “what am I doing?” – if you’re happy with the response and where your life is heading than you’re doing well but don’t get complacent. Challenge yourself and always look for new cheese (for a great read click here). If you’re not happy with your response than start to make changes – I always like to start with a list so that you can physically see yourself tick things off, it’s very rewarding and great for time management as some things take a lot longer than others so if you only have a quick 30mins, check your list and be realistic with what you can achieve.
2. Set Goals with targets and deadlines – Have you ever heard of SMART goals? Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely. Follow these headings and they will help you setup specific goals that you can measure easily, that are also achievable and realistic, set within a reasonable timeframe. It sounds obvious but track your goals through each of these factors to ensure a successful 2015.
3. Don’t get hung up on any mistakes – the whole fun in trying new things and making changes is the unexpected so be prepared as some things will run as planned but there will also be a few unexpected surprises. These mistakes are what we learn from and are usually the best lessons-learned. As Thomas Wayne said “Why do we fall? So that we learn to pick ourselves backup!”
4. Make plans and do ‘something’ towards it each day – it’s quite daunting when you make a new life plan and the end goal can seem miles away but we all go through this every single day in almost everything we do. How many passes does it take to score a goal? How many stitches to make a dress? and as you all know how many steps to climb a mountain?
5. Enjoy yourself – whats the point in making all these changes if you’re not having fun in the process…that surely has to be the end goal right? so make sure you enjoy you what you’re doing and appreciate what you have around you. And remember, if you get a little bit lost just start back at number 1.
Have a great New Year and I hope that 2015 is a healthy and happy one!
Travel Safe ;}