Top 10 Sustainable Travel Tips
Sustainable travel should be your first priority when looking into a new trip. If it isn’t… the next generation might not be able to see and experience these amazing places…
Here are my top 10 sustainable travel tips:
- Shower for less – turn the water off in between soaping yourself and rinsing. Can make a huge difference and save litres of water.
- Turn of the tap whilst brushing your teeth – as above this makes such a big difference and is so simple. You’ll probably save at least 3 litres.
- Use a refillable water bottle and don’t buy plastic ones – less plastic on land means less plastic in our seas. This is a serious problem and can take over 500 years to decompose.
- Save your towel – keep your towel for more than one shower and you’ll use less energy and less water, imagine how much this could save in a 500 room hotel.
- Turn off lights – so simple but so easily forgotten.
- Take a fan room over AC: conserves energy and reduces the hotels impact on the environment, not to mention allows you to adjust to the heat quicker and not as likely to get sick.
- Don’t use plastic straws – again they add to the plastic dump in the sea and can cause serious problems for animals.
- Cutlery – re-use you cutlery, do you really need another set for your mains? again you’ll save litres of water.
- Don’t give money to beggars: if you want to really help look into local programmes that support people in these situations and offer real, long term help. Many of these you see on the streets are run by gangs.
- If you know you fall asleep whilst watching the TV set a sleep timer.
These simple but effective Sustainable Travel tips will ensure that you’re a responsible traveller.
Travel Safe ;}